Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mysophobia

So I've been unprofessional. I have used "germobphobia" as a scientific term to describe my personal concerns of contracting disease. I foolishly felt I was using "Germophobia" as a scholarly term, something you find in the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Wrong.
Evidently, "germophobia" is a slang, a dirty street term for "Mysophobia". According to the highly reputable, quasi-peer reviewed, online journal that is Wikipedia, Mysophobia is "a term used to describe a pathological fear of contact with dirt, to avoid contamination and germs." Further, those that "suffer" from Mysophobia are considered Mysophobes. Well. I feel misled. After all, it was in fact a gray-haired, squatty, 8th-grade English teacher that first accused me of being a Germophobe, following an incident of sharing a chewed-up pen with the pizza-faced Neanderthal that was my desk partner. Aren't these teachers supposed to have a Master's Degree? If you are still walking this earth, Mrs. Denny, I sincerely mean it when I say "Take THAT!"
But I digress. The term "germophobia" is just one in a series of words thrown carelessly around to describe Mysophobia. Apparently "bacillophobia" and "bacteriophobia" round out the list. My slightly obsessive compulsive nature is deeply disturbed by this confusion, because when I have an obsession I absolutely must call it by the right name.
This realization demands more research, which is soon to follow. After all, now I can't get it out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment